Rooted in our Radical Generosity tradition, The New York Women’s Foundation is responding to the challenges posed by COVID-19 with an abundance of caution and an abundance of determination to support the needs of women and families in New York City.
Now more than ever, we see how interconnected and intertwined our lives are. Even through a period of social distancing, we recognize the imperative at this time to stand together in our shared humanity and mitigate the far-reaching impacts of COVID-19 on all communities.
Our grantee partners are at the heart of our work and this time is especially challenging for many nonprofit organizations. They are now faced with difficult decisions of cancelling vital fundraising and service events, setting up alternative work arrangements and figuring out how to continue to provide support to already underinvested communities and responding to new needs.
Abundance of Support
We are intensifying our efforts to support the needs of our grantee partners as they navigate this crisis:
1. Our Spring 2020 Grantmaking Cycle is Rescheduled: Out of an abundance of caution and safety for volunteers, staff of applicant organizations and our own staff, we are rescheduling our Spring 2020 new applicants grantmaking cycle to June. No organization’s eligibility for this funding opportunity will be affected by this postponement.
2. We are proceeding with the renewals of our current grantees. No renewals will be impacted by the postponement of our Spring 2020 grantmaking cycle.
3. Our staff is fully accessible and we remain in close contact with our grantee partners as we work remotely.
4. We will be providing weekly updates focused on the impacts of COVID-19 on our communities with a special focus on their responses and resilience. Please subscribe to email updates and our Sunday newsletter In The Know by clicking here: http://bit.ly/NYWFCOVID19updates
Abundance of Caution
Prioritizing the health and safety of The Foundation’s staff and community at large is paramount as we continue to fulfill our mission:
5. Our annual Celebrating Women© Breakfast has been postponed to Friday, June 12, 2020. We hope that we will be able to hold this powerful gathering of our community and will provide timely updates on the status of the event. We deeply value our community of supporters and will take necessary precautions to ensure their wellbeing.
6. The Foundation’s office will continue to operate remotely until further notice. While our physical offices may be closed, we will continue operating with as much flexibility and as little interruption as possible. Our staff is fully available via email, phone and video conferencing. Grantee partners are encouraged to connect directly with the appropriate Program Officer for support. Our Development team remains engaged with our community of donor activists.
Services, events and other gatherings may be temporarily on hold, but the needs of many underinvested communities are not. Through these unprecedented times, we reaffirm our commitment to advancing economic, gender and racial equity for women.
As we respond to the additional needs of our grantee partners, we ask you to join us by increasing your support to the work of The Foundation by clicking here: http://bit.ly/2UySxKP
We are here to stand with you as the challenges of this time unfold daily. We hope and need for our communities to respond to this moment by first taking care of themselves and taking care of their fellow neighbors.
Stay with us through this time with updates on our social media platforms and by visiting our website at www.nywf.org.
Ana L. Oliveira
President and CEO, The New York Women’s Foundation