The New York Women’s Foundation advances economic, gender and racial justice for women and families by investing in women leaders building solutions in their communities.
Our bold investment in women as agents of change multiplies the effect of women’s financial gains, boosts local economic growth, strengthens families, and creates thriving communities. Designed to move the needle toward justice and equity for all, our investments focus on all women including girls and young women, immigrants, people with disabilities, the LGBTQI community, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Every facet of The Foundation’s work is aligned with our guiding principles:
- Effective and sustainable solutions come from within communities.
- Women are authors of their lives and change makers in their communities.
- Grantees are partners and knowledgeable experts.
- We carry out philanthropy with transparency, respect, and partnership.
- A participatory approach between community members, leaders, and funders creates opportunities for local solutions and long-lasting change.
- Long-term investment in grantee partners facilitates leadership and organizational sustainability.
The Foundation goes beyond funding to deliver the resources and networking opportunities that emerging organizations and leaders need in order to continue to progress and succeed. We practice participatory grantmaking – guidance for grantmaking comes directly from the communities to be supported; and grantmaking is principally carried out by volunteer activists. Our approach provides diverse stakeholders with a deep, first-hand knowledge of the key issues and players, and continually reinforces their determination to promote success.